Chapter 13 Bankruptcy
If you have fallen behind on your bills and can never seem to get caught up because fines and fees keep adding up, Chapter 13 bankruptcy can be the jumpstart you need to get a handle on your financial situation. Chapter 13 will allow you to reorganize your debt so you can finally make progress and get back on your feet financially.
Is Chapter 13 right for you?
If you cannot meet the financial requirements for Chapter 7, Chapter 13 is probably a good option if you have:
- A large amount of credit card debt on which you are paying only the minimum amount
- Late fees and fines accumulating because of missed or late payments
- A large amount of secured and unsecured debt
What Chapter 13 Offers
Chapter 13 bankruptcy consolidates your outstanding debt and allows you to repay your creditors over a period of three to five years. Once you file for Chapter 13, it will:
- Stop creditor harassment
- Put an end to collections activities against you
- Restructure your credit card and other secured and unsecured debt so you can make progress on your bills by removing late fees and fines and reducing interest rates
- Begin to rebuild your credit rating as you make progress paying off your debts
- Provide an opportunity to cure mortgage and car loan arrearages and defaults
The Bankruptcy Process
If you qualify for Chapter 13, you will need to complete a pre-bankruptcy counseling program. Our bankruptcy lawyers can help you find a Pennsylvania program near you.
One of our bankruptcy attorneys – Marc A. Hess, John H. Whitmoyer or Roberta Santiago – will meet with you to review financial information in preparation for filing a petition with the court. Each of our lawyers has significant experience handling bankruptcy matters. We can explain the process to you and advise you on what is likely to happen in court. We will help you develop a repayment plan that will be submitted to the bankruptcy court.
If the bankruptcy court accepts the repayment plan, a bankruptcy trustee will be appointed to receive money from you every month. He or she will divide and distribute that monthly payment among your creditors. Once the payment plan is completed, any remaining amount of unsecured debt will be erased, giving you a fresh financial start.
Contact Our Law Firm
Contact us today via email or call us at 717-274-3644 to schedule a and confidential Free consultation. We practice in the Bankruptcy Courts of the Middle District and Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
We are a debt relief agency that helps people file for relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code.