Do We Need a Prenup?
Do We Need a Prenup?
A prenup, or prenuptial agreement, is a contract that is entered into before two people get married. The language of the prenup distributes assets and debts, along with the amount of any spousal support that a party to the contract might receive in the event of a divorce or death.
Why They Are Used
You might want to consider a prenup if you have assets that you want to protect in the event that your marriage fails. These types of agreements may also be used if one or both of the future spouses want specific assets or personal property passed on to their children from a prior marriage as opposed to their future spouse. Here are some other reasons why you might want to speak with the Lebanon PA family law attorneys at Henry & Beaver, LLP:
- When you have assets like a home, an IRA, other retirement funds, or stock.
- If you own a business or have a legal interest in one.
- If you have children from a prior marriage.
- If there’s a substantial disparity of wealth between you and your future spouse.
- When one of you is paying for the other to attend a professional school.
- If you want to protect assets that you may acquire in the future.
- When you want protection against debts that your future spouse might incur during the marriage.
Your prenup becomes effective upon completion of your marriage ceremony. It can only be invalidated by mutual agreement, the death of one of the spouses, or by judicial determination.
Whether you want a prenup drafted or negotiated, contact the Lebanon PA family law attorneys at Henry & Beaver, LLP. We understand the importance of these agreements. You need only arrange for a consultation with an experienced family law attorney at our offices. He or she will listen to you carefully and answer all of your legal questions. You will also be advised of how a prenup might operate in your best interests. We’re easily accessible here in Lebanon and less than an hour away from Harrisburg, Lancaster, Reading, York and Pottstown. Contact our office at (717) 274-3644 to schedule your consultation today.