- Practice Areas
- Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Attorney
- Business and Employment Law
- Civil Litigation Attorney in Pennsylvania
- Criminal Law
- Family Law
- Estate Planning
- Municipal Law
- Personal Injury
- Arm, Hand, Wrist and Shoulder Injuries
- Bicycle Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Construction And Workplace Accidents
- Dangerous Premises
- Dangerous Products
- Dog Bite
- Injuries To Children
- Lower Body Injuries (Foot, Ankle, Knee and Hip Injuries)
- Motorcycle Accident
- Neck, Spine & Brain Injuries
- Scar and Disfigurement
- Truck Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Real Estate Law
- Attorney Profiles
How to Prepare Yourself for an Inevitable Divorce
There is the age-old statistic that 50% of marriages in America end in divorce. It seemed as if your chances of having a successful marriage were no better than calling heads or tails on a coin flip. While those numbers might have been true at one point, recent studies have shown that the divorce rate in America has actually gone down in recent years. That being said, unfortunately, not all marriages can be saved. If you find yourself going down a path that may end in divorce, you might need some assistance from Henry & Beaver Attorneys at Law. If you have children, divorce can become an even more complex situation. Our child custody lawyers have years of experience, and they can guide you to make the right decisions for you and your family. Whether you are in Lebanon PA or the surrounding area, we can help.
There are a number of things you can do and steps you can take to prepare for divorce. This is a huge decision and you’ll want to ensure that you understand what you will be going through before you begin the process. While this isn’t an exhaustive list, these are the things we think are the most beneficial for people contemplating divorce.
- Marriage counseling – You may want to start with finding a marriage counselor. Getting divorced is a huge step to take and you should consider finding out whether your marriage is able to be saved. Marriage counselors can assist you with finding ways to cope with all of the emotions you may be feeling and provide useful information that can give you peace of mind when making decisions moving forward.
- Hire an attorney – If you know for certain that divorce is the only option you have, then you will want backing from an experienced lawyer. It is very rare in a divorce that couples can agree on everything. Divorce is a time consuming and complicated process. Attempting to go through it without a lawyer will most likely be more than you can handle and can have many unintended consequences. You need to know what your rights are, and having someone you can trust too will be important.
- Update and gather important documents – You should immediately gather important documents that you will need. This will include things like copies of any prenuptial or postnuptial agreements, deeds or titles to marital property, or copies of trust documents. Financial documents, credit card statements and bank records are also helpful to have. It is also important to make sure that once your divorce is finalized that you update your will or any documents in which you have named a spouse as a beneficiary.
- Start thinking about custody decisions – When children are involved, you need to make sure that they understand the changes that may take place after a divorce. If you are unable to amicably make decisions about custody with your spouse, you will be glad you have child custody lawyers on your side that know how to handle things. Henry & Beaver takes pride in the fact that our team of experts are some of the best in the area. Making sure that the you are not alone to face the difficult challenges ahead can give you clarity when making decisions. If you should need assistance from child or spousal support lawyers, our dedicated attorneys will be by your side every step of the way.
While divorce is regularly viewed as a negative experience that has miles of red tape and headaches, Henry & Beaver Attorneys at Law want to assure you that we will do our very best to make your divorce as smooth as possible. We will keep you informed as to what the best course of action is and make sure that you have all the information you need to make decisions that will be right for you and your family.
Our staff is devoted to our clients and want the best outcomes for all of them. Visit us online to see our different areas of practice to see if we can be of assistance to you or call us at 717-274-3644.